[MCR] Kootenay National Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Feb 25 19:15:43 EST 2012

I did a few of laps on the Storm Mountain fire break this afternoon. Lots of old tracks in it but still ok skiing.

I was surprised that there only seemed to be about 5-10 cm of recent storm snow here on top of the old facetted surface. About 120 cm total. I haven't skied in the Rockies much this year but it felt like the weakest snowpack I have seen this season. Foot penetration is to ground although with fat skis and a gentle touch on low angle terrain you stay on top for your turns.

As soon as I left the firebreak there was lots of whumpfing in the undisturbed snow, in the basal facets I assume. I was glad that I wasn't on anything steeper than 20 degrees or so.

Mark Klassen
ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide
alpinism.com

Sent from my mobile device for which I refuse to advertise