[MCR] Rogers Pass Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 27 14:26:18 EST 2012

Hello,

I have just returned from 7 days of skiing in Roger's Pass (Feb 20-26).

Ski quality was excellent through out the last storm which dropped over a meter of snow, however the buried surface hoar layer was and still is very touchy which limited our terrain choices. We avoided overhead hazard and skied lower angled terrain that had little consequence. We observed lots of evidence of the widespread avalanche cycle.

It should be noted that although the danger rating is decreasing due to the decreasing numbers of natural avalanches, we were still getting large settlements and stability tests in the easy range down 85cm on the well preserved (2cm in places!) surface hoar. Conditions are prime for skier triggering.

Tread lightly and choose your terrain wisely!

Jesse de Montigny
ACMG Mountain Guide
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures