[MCR] Southern Purcells

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Feb 29 21:35:01 EST 2012

I went for a ski tour up the St Mary's Valley today (Sawyer Creek).  This was my first tour in the area for a couple of weeks.  So I had my head in the snow pack allot today.  Here is what I found. Test 1 1800m SE aspect  showed down 80 cm CTH26 RP result on the 12/02/08 layer at this spot the layer was a melt freeze crust of 4 cm  2nd test 2300 m E aspect showed down  120 cm CTH28 SP on 12/02/08 starting to decompose SH 10-15mm.  3rd test 2300 m,  S aspect showed down 120 cm CTH 28 SC on 12/02/08 FC layer of 5 cm 4F FC.  There has been significant wind loading in the last 48h.  Observed 1 Na from the last 48h size 3 east aspect,  2500 m directly below ALP  ridge.  We had a skier remote size 3 from 15 m away while travelling on ridge top.  Whole south face let go cross loaded start zone 35 deg. 120- 180 cm deep,  200m wide,  ran 500 m.  It ran fast and far out on low angle terrain.

Most settlements and shoot cracks where observed at lower elevations 1600-1700m in a sharp valley with little direct sun.  One ridge top settlement due to new wind snow which had significant results.  I have no confidence in any large open terrain. One last thing be mindful of what is above you when you are snowmobiling in.  Any clear cuts that are shaded think twice.

Play safe
Dan Madell
SG