[MCR] This House of Sky, Ghost Valley, January 4

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 5 11:39:01 EST 2012

I guided two clients, along with a practicum guide, on This House of Sky in
the Ghost on January 4th.

Easy driving conditions with a 4x4 pickup, no issues at the river crossings
or elsewhere on the drive in and out. Not much snow in the Ghost, but it
was raining lightly in the valley bottom and snowing up higher at the end of
the day, so avalanche danger could rise. Windy in the valley bottom and
warm, with a temperature of +8 deg C at 6:am. We were nicely sheltered from
the wind on the whole climb.

The route is in fantastic shape, lots of good hooking and footsteps kicked
in from previous parties. We continued up to the first pillar in the basin
above the main route, and did a couple laps on it before descending the
route (rappels, lowers and down-climbing). GBU is looking a bit worked by
the warm temperatures, but still looks climbable. See photos attached.

Jordy Shepherd

ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide

www.PeakAlpine.com

_____