[MCR] Rockies, Field - Pilsner Pillar, Jan 8

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 8 19:41:08 EST 2012

Great day out climbing with fellow guide Pete Thurlow on Pilsner Pillar.
-2, light wind, a few flakes under overcast skies back at the road.

Climbers have been to the base of the route and been enjoying the mixed lines to the right and behind the Pillar but we saw no signs of travel on the climb itself. P1 is in WI 5+, 6 condition right now. The early portions of the pitch are hollow behind for about 5m before it thickens up. While steep we had good ice and lots of little features to work with. Engaging climbing with enough good screws to keep it really fun. The other pitches rounded out a solid day on a classic.

We rapped from "No Threads" and one tree. 60m ropes were just enough to stretch across the low angle terrain between pitches before the top of pitch 1.

Happy Climbing.

John Freeman
ACMG – Alpine Guide
www.johnfreemanguide.com