[MCR] Rockies, Cobra Verde

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jan 28 19:22:36 EST 2012

My fellow Mountain Guide, Nick Sharpe, and I guided on Cobra Verde today, Jan 28th. The climb has seen little traffic and we were able to just make out the shallow trough of the last party's approach trail. Easy trail plowing in the trees with more challenge up the slope to the climb, knee to hip deep slab over facets just below the first pitch. Yes you punch through to the ground and the sparkling dry sugar like facets ... tedious.

We climbed the left and right sides of the first pitch. The right side is undermined by water through it's whole 30 meters, spooky gonging. The left side has anchored to the rock below and is a better choice. One pitch was enough for our crew today so we didn't break up to the second pitch, although I caught a glimpse of it through the trees, looks fine.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com