[MCR] Wapta Area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jan 31 19:34:31 EST 2012

A quick jaunt up to Bow Hut this morning just to stretch the legs. Temp
was -9 at L Louise this a.m. Ski pen was 0-15 breaking trail and the mid
pack is quite strong (strengthening over the past several weeks) &
definitely stronger than this time last season.
The winds continue to be strong out of the south with considerable wind
transport. The flats at the inlet to Bow Lake are blown clean and you have
to take you skiis off for about 100 meters unless you do a big detour. The
canyon creek is well filled in and the thin snowpack there is strong and
supportive. I saw no evidence of slab avalanche activity, but saw two
size 2 sluffs off the headwall that ran to end of fan. Otherwise too much
cloud to see up the glacier. The newly transported snow skiis well (nice
not to be hitting rocks) and hasn't yet formed a slab below the elevation
of the hut. I'd be concerned about big lee slopes in the alpine.

Greg Yavorsky UIAGM Mountain Guide