[MCR] Wapta Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jul 2 19:46:16 EDT 2012

Myself and colleague James Madden were at Bow Hut June 30 to July 2

We found that the rain soaked snow to about 9500 ft. had finally made the transition to a summer snow pack. We had good travel without crampons and generally boot top penetration. The surface was wet. Crevasses were still well bridged although we did observe minor sagging. Having said that we used routes that avoided the crevassed areas.
We saw 1 size 2.5 cornice failure (ran to ground) 9000ft North aspect – the big wind roll on St Nick visible from the Hut.
Serac releases off the Bow Headwall produced no activity.

Have fun out there:

James Blench
ACMG/UIAGM