[MCR] Rockies, Lake O'Hara. July 1st/2nd, 2012

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jul 2 23:40:26 EDT 2012

Spring is on its way at O'Hara. Trails are improving and with a bit of luck and good judgement some good climbing could be had.

Grassi Ridge, Schaffer N ridge, Cathedral would all be good. You still have to deal with a bit of snow travel on the rocks on all of these. Little Odoray could be good but there is still lots of snow on it.

Lefroy and Glacier could be excellent with a good freeze from Lake Oesa up. They would also be terrifying on a warm afternoon. Cornices will be huge along those summit ridges!

Victoria is probably "full on" cornice/snow travel and I assume the slopes above the hut are currently a nasty place to be in the daytime heat.

Huber ledges still holding some snow/ice. I would wait awhile to go there as the travel and the rockfall could be horrendous in the gullies on a warm afternoon.

Hungabee, Biddle, Ringrose-Hah! Forget it for a few weeks at least

Odoray probably needs another week or two for the south ridge cruxes to dry out.

Larry Stanier
ACMG Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net