[MCR] Athabasca North Face to North Ridge (aka Bypass)

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jul 7 18:59:09 EDT 2012

I climbed Athabasca North Face Bypass/Scottish Gully early this
morning with one guest.

The good overnight freezes of the previous two nights and clear skies
made for a crust that was able to withstand the overnight low of +13C
at the parking lot. I measured +2C at the summit at 9:15am.

We had excellent travel conditions overall with a mainly supportive
crust on north aspects overlying moist, unconsolidated recent snow (no
ice encountered without digging). The snow on south and east aspects
above 3350m was wet and deteriorating as we approached the summit.

No rockfall or avalanche activity observed during the day, but I'm
sure that's changed by now -- when we left the parking lot at noon it
was getting really hot, 20C and rising.

Regards,
Tom Wolfe
Mountain Guide ACMG/IFMGA