[MCR] Approaches and Trail Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 8 12:37:42 EDT 2012

Good Day To Everyone,

In spite of the fact that we are still behind for this time of the year in
terms of the snowline elevation (1800 metres roughly), conditions have been
quite good for the many of the peaks on the east side of the Roger's Pass
and we have been seeing some traffic on Mt. MacDonald south routes and I
suspect as well parties climbing on Mt.Tupper.

We have observed daytime high temperatures up to 26 degrees C yesterday (at
1315 metres) and lows overnight of 6 - 7 degrees C over the last few
nights with decent radiation cooling. Owing to the fact that daylight
hours are extended this time of the year and with the hot temps forecast
for the next few days, alpine (very early) starts are still strongly
recommended before the heating takes hold.

The hiking trails and campgrounds that had been closed due to the heavy
rainfall event mid June (17th) coupled with an above average snowpack are
now open. The exception is the Abandoned Rails Trail at the foot of Mt.
Cheops as a result of a mudslide during the aforementioned precip event.

The Sir Donald Trail and Perly Rock trail bridges have been repaired are
now fit for passage by hikers and climbers. However, the last metal bridge
on the upper Asulkan trail is the only bridge not re-installed for summer
because of the abundant snowpack at that elevation.

There has been some notable grizzly bear (2 three year old sub adults)
sightings over the last 2 - 3 weeks in the Asulkan Valley and they have
been seen specifically roaming around in the Illecilliwaet Campground and
on the Glacier Crest Trail. Please keep this in mind when travelling in
the lower elevation regions of the Park and take all of the necessary
precautions.

Anyone who has been climbing or hiking recently and has pertinent
information to share, feel free to email or call us with any noteworthy
observations in your travels in Glacier Park.

Enjoy the summer,

Paddy Jerome
IFMGA Mountain Guide
Visitor Safety Technician
Mount Revelstoke & Glacier National Parks
Cell Ph. 250 814 3524
Office Ph. 250 814 5256
patrick.jerome at pc.gc.ca