[MCR] Northern Purcells: Purcell Mountain Lodge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 4 00:30:33 EST 2012

I guided in Purcell Mountain Lodge 27 Feb - 2 Mar. The surface hoar was alive & well down ~40cm on all aspects. It was particularly large (30mm+) on northerly slopes below 2000 metres, producing spectacular whumpfing & cracking. We could actually see the waves of snow move in front of us as we walked across open spots in low angled terrain. We were able to easily ski cut a number of avalanches from size 0.5-1.5 on northerly slopes along with associated remote (from a distance) releases from safe ground. Slides would have been larger if the upper snowpack had been stiffer. Everyone is likely aware that things are changing now with all of the new load in the form of snowfall & wind. This might be enough to wake up this layer on all of the aspects where we weren't getting results and will certainly increase the destructive potential of the slides that run. Please be careful out there.

Ken Bélanger
ASG, CAA2
TopCog Adventures Outdoor Guiding & Adventure Travel