[MCR] Black Prince / Kananaskis

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 14 01:11:11 EDT 2012

Ski touring today at the main Black Prince apron along the Smith Dorrien
Road: -2C at the parking lot at 9.30 AM and variable, at times heavy
snowfall all day. Most notable were strong at times gusty winds, which
seemed to be blowing up the valley (i.e. south-easterly) and more northerly
in the pm. By mid day, there were about 30-40 cm of recent snow sitting on
several decomposing sun crust layers in the upper snowpack. We ended up
turning around before exiting the trees as the slab became denser and deeper
with the increased wind transport higher up on the slope.

Getting out of the unplowed parking lot at 3.30 pm and the drive home was
probably the most adventurous part of the day. Heavy snowfall (probably 4 cm
/ hour) and the strong winds made for tough driving conditions and we took
the long way back to Canmore via HWY 40.

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)

OnTop ltd.

www.ontopmountaineering.com