[MCR] French Haig Robertson Traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 25 14:23:38 EDT 2012

Overall great conditions on this trip yesterday with up to 40cms of recent storm snow on the Robertson glacier with no wind affect making for excellent skiing.

Good coverage on the glaciers (350cms+) and a thin overcast sky with a cool down flow wind kept things chilly (-10) all morning up high. The big South facing slope leading up to the Robertson col (crux of trip) was moist in the afternoon but we were able to boot pack up rocks most of the way with an average of 10-20cms of snow underfoot. This is a serious place so one needs to be certain on stability.

Our biggest concern was overhead hazard with the new snow and the intense power of the sun this time of the year. We are slowly getting into spring skiing but we are not there yet!

Have fun.

Mike Stuart
CanadianAlpineGuides.com