[MCR] Wapta Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 28 15:38:53 EDT 2012

Spent March 25-27 in Peyto Hut Area on the Wapta.

Good coverage on the ice with 260-300 cm above 2600 metres. Surface snow
was generally wind pressed but still very skiable.
Max temp in alpine was 0 degrees but snow was staying dry due to cool
winds.
Several pits(dug down to 150 cm) in vicinity of Trapper/Baker Col showed
various moderate shears in top 40 cm and a well settled snowpack below.
The Feb surface hoar was not found in the places we dug, however I would
assume that it is present in many areas on the Wapta. Before skiing any
bigger features I would check fort the presence of the surface hoar.
We were skiing well supported slopes and avoiding shallow areas.

Looks like Spring has finally arrived,

Brian Webster