[MCR] Duffy - North Joffree Shoulder

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Mar 29 21:52:54 EDT 2012

Went for a ski tour on the North Joffree Shoulder today. Temps were hovering at or above 0 near the car and -5 at 2100m, and snow quality quickly improved above 1400m. 15cms of HST at the cars, with up to 40cms of HST at treeline. We went to ski From 2050m in the first more open short alpine style kind of features that we could safely ski cut on entering. With a safe and successful ski cut, we managed to initiate a 25cm deep soft slab that then propagated 130m along the ridge line creating a size 2 avalanche. The bed surface was the March 26th layer with some small surface hoar and facets present at that low alpine elevation. Lower in the run we were also able to ski cut the same layer in a more sheltered location with 2-4mm preserved surface hoar. We suspect that winds in the predawn hours were strong enough to stiffen the snow in all open terrain, as the ski quality also suggested this. We were unable to go any higher into the alpine, so we do not know if this March 26th layer is still reactive up high. Stay safe out there! Ski quality was excellent in the upper below treeline elevation ranges.

Evan Stevens
Mountain Guide.