[MCR] K Country Skiing

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Mar 30 14:29:20 EDT 2012

I skied glades W of Spray Lakes Rd above Headwall Creek this AM with friends Carter and Kevin. We skied BTL between 2000-2300m. Conditions were overcast with snowfall up to S2. Temp between -4 and -1C.

We found storm slabs 20-40cm thick. Ski cutting on unsupported slopes over 30 degrees produced easy results on temperature crust to size 1. Below HST we observed a supportive midpack to P hardness. HS of 150-200cm. We did not observe the SH layer in our profile.

A slide path left of the glades we skied had slid naturally in the past 24h producing Sz 1. Suspect failure of HST on temp crust. It would appear that HST is not bonding well. Caution is advised on steeper terrain and in gully features.

On the drive back to Canmore, we observed winds S-E from W at ridgetop of Nestor.

Brent Peters
AAG

Sent from my iPhone