[MCR] Wapta Icefields, Rockies, March 28-30

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 31 17:56:34 EDT 2012

As part of a recent Apprentice Ski Guide Exam two groups traveled up to the
Wapta Icefields from March 28-30. One group approached from Bow Canyon and
the other from Peyto; each completed a short traverse and descended the
opposite approach. Trips were also completed to the Wildcat Glacier via
Baker / Trapper Col, Little Crowfoot, Rhonda South, and the Baker / Habel
Col.

We encountered good travel conditions due to cool temperatures, low ski
penetration and reasonably good snow coverage. Temperatures remained below
freezing in Alpine but TL and BTL were starting to see affects of spring
warmth. In spite of the wind, good skiing is still found in sheltered areas.

The approach to Bow Hut is in good condition with the creek mostly covered -
although there remains considerable overhead hazard from snow slopes and
cornices collapsing. The Peyto approach is also in good condition and
requires the normal amount of boot packing in the moraines.

Seasonal strong winds have created variable snow depths in the region. This
recent storm brought moderate to strong S and SW winds. We encountered less
recent soft wind slab than anticipated other than in isolated pockets. Snow
depths varied from over 3meters on most glaciers to bare ice on steepest
part of the Upper Peyto Glacier. Snow from previous storm appeared to be
10-15 cm in alpine but was closer to 20-30cm in more sheltered areas below
tree line.

Surface hoar was observed down 70cm on a 2100m W facing moraine feature
nearby to the Mistaya Lodge. Snow tests showed some reactivity to snow tests
although we saw no recent natural or skier activity on this layer.

We had limited visibility during the trip, however we only observed 1 new
natural avalanche in our travels. We avoided traveling on shallow snowpack
areas out of concern for triggering persistent deeper instabilities. We were
also cautious traveling in areas that might have had wind slabs. Cornices
remain a serious overhead hazard with their potential to create debris and
trigger larger slabs. While a few have fallen, there are many more that lurk
overhead.

If the weather improves and sun comes out we anticipate to see an increase
in activity on solar aspects and cornice failures.

It was a great week skiing with friends.

Cecelia Mortenson
ACMG Assistant Alpine and Rock Guide
CAA L2 Avalanche

via