[MCR] Rockies, Mt Columbia

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue May 15 23:13:46 EDT 2012

We spent May 14 & 15th touring to & ascending Mt Columbia via the Athabasca Glacier and the East Ridge route.

Travel conditions ranged from firm & supportive crusts (yesterday & this morning to 10 AM) to sticky schmoo (early afternoon) at trip's end on the lower Athabasca glacier. We had an overnight temp of -2.5 @ 2800m, camped just East of the 'trench'.

Numerous crevasses were open on the top third of the ascent of Mt Columbia, we elected to use a rope through this area. Thanks to numerous previous parties, we had a good boot pack trail right to the summit. Descending was straight forward plunge stepping, though crampons were useful on the top section where firmer snow was encountered.

Of note was the change we noticed in the snow bridges on the flat sections below and above the Athabasca Glacier ramp. Numerous sags & new cracks appeared overnight as a result of no overnight freeze at lower elevations.

There is a plethora of wind shelters in the usual camp sites, including one established within a km of Mt Columbia. Lots of choices; some will need a bit of attention, others were in great shape and even included a latrine spot! The ravens are ever present & scheming, looking for any food that is not well protected from their pirating ways.

Dave Healey
SG, CAA2
Revelstoke, BC

Ken Bélanger