[MCR] Rogers Pass Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 21 19:45:53 EST 2012

Hello,

Snowy day up at Balu Pass today with temps -1 to -4 and freezing levels
around 800m. There was about 10cm new at the parking lot and 20cm at
the pass from this recent storm.

I saw a big improvement in the coverage from when I was up about 10 days
ago. The coverage below 1400m is minimal but at 1500m I found 60-90cm
in the glades. At the pass (2000m) it is fully winter with HS of 160cm
and good skiing.

Felt a number of deep whumphs in the meadows (1800m) below the pass
where the early Nov crust is down 60-80cm. I dug below the pass at
2050m NE HS 160cm. A few shears at 20cm and 60cm but nothing
significant. Though, with the recent wind of the last few days, I would be suspect of windslabs below steep ridgelines and in cross loaded features. The early Nov crust(s) is down 100cm and came out CTH(1) sudden collapse and is surely facetting. I would be a bit shy in larger features.
Though, that didn't seem to stop lots of people I saw today going for
it.

Thanks,

James Vickers
ACMG