[MCR] Sun God Peak near Birkenhead Lake

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Nov 25 23:11:13 EST 2012

We skied N aspect of Sun God on Sunday under sunny skies. There had been a natural cycle on N aspects to size 2.5 possibly 3 in the HST. I could not tell whether the largest slab released on a deeper layer rather than the most recent HST as it was too far away but had impressive propagation. The rapid load released from many start zones but snow felt well bonded where we skied perhaps influenced by the days cool temperatures.
There was 80 cm HS at 4000' and many alders. A test profile at 6000' showed 160 cm HS with a well settled mid pack under the top 40cm low density snow. There was no shears in the HST and only a CTH resistant planar shear on the early November rain crust which is down 130cm. Perhaps the dense mid pack is acting as a sufficient bridge however the bottom 30 cm under the crust is all large facets of little density. We attempted to avoid any shallow or unsupported rocky features because of the weak basal layer and experienced very good skiing top to bottom.

Tim Pochay