[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan Valley -Dome Col - Nov.25/26

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Nov 27 05:11:01 EST 2012

Just some info from a different region of Rogers Pass. I have been up the
Asulkan valley over the last 2 days in the area of Dome Pk.

Nov.25 was a foggy in and out day which made route finding in the Alpine a
bit tricky and reliant on local knowledge. Snowpack was somewhat deeper than
the Connaught drainage on this wind sheltered aspect of Asulkan Brook
(approx. 200cm.). Once you were above the Treeline elevations there was
15-25cms of soft snow over a previously wind affected snowpack from last
week's wind events. For the most part the wind effected snow was supportive
but not overly stiff (4F) until you were in the higher alpine (2500m +).

Probing showed it to be a generally strong snowpack - the Nov.6 crust was
down at least 120cms in the Alpine. No Whumps or cracking were observed, nor
were there any recent avalanches.

The only real change on the 26th was a dusting of large snowflakes (stellar)
overnight which may be a reactive interface once buried, and a clearer
cooler day in general - no surface hoar was observed on the surface.

I noted some tracks that had ascended/descend to Saphire Col on the 25th
(the foggy day) - from our vantage it was clear that both the up and down
tracks crossed several sagging bridges on the lower glacier, something that
may not have been obvious in the fog - if you follow this route a rope may
be a prudent tool at this time of season.

Another thing to keep in mind is that creek crossings of the Aslukan brook
are limited to the head of the mousetrap at this time of year - so if you
skied to the bottom of the Dome runs - you would likely be facing an open ck
crossing at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Scott Davis