[MCR] Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 28 18:03:52 EST 2012

Hello Everybody

Today we skied Little Sifton at Rogers Pass. Climbed to the peak via Grizzly Shoulder. Due to less snowpack in lower elevations it was a little though going at the lower elevations, mostly near Connaught Creek. On the way down we skied via Grizzly Bowl to Connaught Creek and back to Rogers Pass. The snow-conditions have been absolutely perfect in all elevations and skied aspects. Just below tree-line we have observed some minor sun-crust in isolated areas, showed only very minor effects on the skiing quality and only for a few turns. Overall the upper snowpack has tightened up well since this past weekend, showing 18 cm ski penetration and 30cm boot penetration. In most areas (elevations and aspects) we have observed 5 mm Stellars overlaying a faceted upper snowpack of up to 1mm low density facets. With the next snow-storm this layer could become a concern. A snow-profile at elevation 2320m aspect east: HS 210cm, from the surface down 40cm hard shovel-shear result and hard compression test result with "resistant planar". The more important layer to keep an eye on is the November 9th crust, a 10 to 15cm sandwich crust. At this elevation this layer is now buried 124cm, reacted to hard plus shovel-shear results and no results on “standard compression test” (CTN) but did react to a “deep compression test” with hard shear results and clean "resistant planar". Along exposed alpine ridges we have observed some isolated minor soft wind slabs, which did not react to skiing. However, in extreme terrain with exposure to the wind and southerly aspect, elevation 2650 m and above, we have observed point release avalanches and one size 1.5 natural triggered slab avalanche.

Overall the conditions at Rogers Pass are amazingly good. I cannot remember having seen since many years such good stability conditions this early in the winter. We had again an amazing day of great touring and skiing of 1500 vertical metres of perfect powder. Definitely, another inspiring day out there.

Enjoy the super light powder.

Ruedi Beglinger

I.F.M.G.A. / A.C.M.G. Mountain Guide

www.selkirkexperience.com