[MCR] Orient Point Ice Climbs - South Ghost

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Nov 29 21:23:50 EST 2012

My partner and I enjoyed a warm and windless day of climbing in the south ghost today, November 29th. We climbed Hidden Dragon, The Joker, The Hooker, and retreated from Candlestick Maker due to a very wet first pitch.

All in all the driving conditions seemed pretty easy, and the usual drifted in areas would not be a problem for vehicles with good clearance.

Overcast skies for most of the day and temperatures hovered around -1c making for some very enjoyable climbing weather.

The Joker was fat and blue, The Hooker had a horizontal fracture crossing the entire column about 40m into the first pitch, and one must take care when swinging and kicking into the lower pillar. This climb is steeper than it looks. The CandleStick Maker first pitch was wet enough to force us to retreat so if you're going in there bring your waterproofs. Hidden Dragon was in excellent shape and had numerous climbable lines to the top of this cliff band.

Enjoy

Kris Irwin - ACMG Alpine Guide
www.rockies-ice.com
www.facebook.com/Rockiesice