[MCR] Snowpack NE of Revelstoke

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Oct 31 23:20:34 EDT 2012

Hello everybody

Today (October 31) I flew together with Nicoline and Eric Dafoe to the Durrand Glacier area, 45 km NE of Revelstoke BC, to check the early snowpack. At tree-line, 1946 m elevation, we observed a snowpack of 85cm to 105cm and at 2150 m elevation 120cm to 130cm. While skiing the snowpack felt well settled and consistent. A snow-profile at tree-line showed mostly round grains for most of the snow-pack. 30cm to 40cm down a 2cm graupel layer with 1mm grains, near the ground mixed grains and at the ground a few facets of 0.5mm have been observed. With the present mild temperatures at tree-line and in the lower alpine this early snow-pack has good potential to form into a perfect base. Of-course the final saying lays with the weather, mostly for the next two weeks. In the afternoon we also skied a run, enjoyed the first turns of the winter and definitely got inspired for a great ski season.

Enjoy the start of the 2012/13 ski season

Ruedi Beglinger
I.F.M.G.A. / A.C.M.G Mountain Guide
info at selkirkexperience.com

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQErjBceci0