[MCR] Mt Assiniboine

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Sep 3 19:04:09 EDT 2012

I was in the Mt Assiniboine/Hind Hut area from Aug 31 - Sept 3, with
Ernest Leonard, from Dallas. During our trip, we received approximately
15 cm of new snow, and experienced strong to extreme winds from the
west. We elected not to attempt Mt Assiniboine, climbing Mt Strom and
Wedgwood Peak instead.

For climbers planning on climbing Assiniboine in the near future, I
would expect snow and wind slab in gully features, but very little snow
on the ridge, due to the violent winds. I would also expect rime ice on
exposed rock features. Crampons will probably be necessary for a few
days, but if the mountain sees some sun and warmer temperatures,
conditions should improve quite quickly. The Gmoser Highway was in good
condition as of Sept 3.

Take care,

Grant Meekins
ACMG Mountain Guide