[MCR] Whistler/Duffy lake area conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Apr 10 15:00:45 EDT 2013

A Thompson Rivers University CMSGA/ACMG apprentice ski guide exam just finished a week in the Whistler and Duffy lake regions. Overall we found a well settled, but below average snowpack in the locations skied. Height of snow ranged from a low of 180cm in select Duffy lake areas and up to 300+cm up high in the Whistler area.

During the week we received up to 40cm of new snow in the Whistler region but only 15 cm around the Duffy lake area, although we did find isolated areas of deeper pockets due to wind loading. This new snow overlies the April 5th melt freeze crust that was found at all elevations and aspects. Generally the new snow appears to be bonding well, however we were avoiding areas that had been affected by the wind, had a firmer crust interface and were sufficiently steep.

Our other concerns during the week were large cornices that looked rip to fail during the rise of daytime temps strong solar affect. Generally we had relatively cool daily temps but we concerned on solar slopes for loose snow avalanches when the temps spiked or sun came out.We found below average snowpack depth on the glaciers for this time of the year, however we found good coverage and easily travel, but crevasses were beginning to sag and show themselves with the settlement of the snowpack.

With the new snow the skiing has drastically improved above tree-line however below tree-line the skiing is still quite rugged with frozen tree-bombs or isothermal snow below 1600m later in the day. On solar aspects were the wind blew off the new snow, good corn skiing could still be found if the sun came out.

Have fun out there and enjoy the great spring time conditions.

TRU Instructors/ACMG Mountain Guides

Keith Reid, Craig McGee

and the Apprentice Guide Candidates.