[MCR] Wapta Traverse, April 14-18

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 19 10:42:09 EDT 2013

I guided the Wapta Traverse for OnTop Mountaineering from April 14-18,
starting at Peyto Lake and finishing via the Sherbrooke Lake exit. We had
mostly good weather and visibility with temperatures ranging from -16C to
-5C above treeline, and generally light winds. It is still very winter-like
above 2400 metres. Snow stability was good in all areas travelled.

We used ski crampons on the ascent of the moraine to access the Peyto
Glacier.

Great travel through the Balfour High Col on April 17th, with brilliant
sunshine and moderate winds keeping temperatures cool all day (-10C).
Despite the cool temps, we observed some minor icefall off the seracs on the
east face of Mount Balfour, with debris stopping well back from the ski
ascent line.

The exit to the Great Divide Lodge via Sherbrooke Lake on April 18th was sun
crusted at treeline on solar aspects making for some challenging skiing, but
the summer trail was still in excellent skiing condition between Sherbrooke
Lake and the Trans Canada highway.

Jordy Shepherd

ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide

CAA Professional Member