[MCR] Bow Hut, Wapta Icefield July 30 - Aug 2

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Aug 2 23:13:35 EDT 2013

I guided from July 30 - August 2 out of Bow Hut with several other guides on the Yamnuska cadet program.

We had great weather with almost no precipitation, and light freezes most nights. We probed 120cm - 220cm of snow on the glacier, just west of St. Nicholas Peak.

Travel was good in the mornings on firm snow. By noon each day the sun cupped surface and soft snow required more effort to travel on.

The snow cover is thin part way up the Bow Glacier toe above the Bow Hut, and it is difficult to see the crevasses. The snow over the crevasses is weak; wearing the rope and having training and equipment for rescue is highly recommended.

Regards,

Jordy Shepherd
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide
CAA Professional Member