[MCR] Rockies, Mt Victorian, Fuhrmann Ledges

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Aug 7 06:28:58 EDT 2013

I guided an ascent to the Main Summit of Mt Victoria (the highest summit) on August 5th. We approached to the Abbot Pass hut from Lake O'Hara on August 4th. There is some snow left in the approach gully so an ice axe is great to have, and, as always, a helmet.

Victoria is about as good as it gets from Abbot Pass right now. We used crampons through the Sickle, and then for a couple hundred more metres. Mt Lefroy was climbed the day we climbed Victoria.

My first time down the Fuhrmann Ledges (some people would refer to these as the MacKay Ledges) and it is a fine mountain adventure, but much further than descending into O'Hara which takes about three hours whereas the Fuhrmann ledges took us about seven. A great description of the ledges here:

http://www.gravsports-ice.com/icethreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=12367

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com