[MCR] Trophy Range- South Cariboos

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 2 11:31:10 EST 2013

The recent weather system has dropped between 35-40 cm of new snow in the past 48 hours in the Trophy Range of the South Cariboos. Below tree line and tree line skiing was very good yesterday with most ground obstacles covered under an average of a 1.0 m snowpack.

The new snow overlies a variety of old surfaces including a widespread surface hoar layer that developed in late November and some pockets of sun crust on steeper solar aspects.

As of yesterday the new snow/surface hoar layer was moderately reactive to ski cutting on small unsupported features at and below tree line- including cracking and propagation. We avoided steep open glades & cut blocks and gully/creek features.
Once the new snow becomes more consolidated with the forecasted cooler temperatures and high winds- initially it is possible that the SH layer may become very reactive to skier/rider triggering and likely we will see a natural avalanche cycle occur in some areas over the next day or two.

Due to the heavy fog and weather we did not observe the start zones of the larger north facing bowls on Raft Mountain- I would suspect there is certainly some natural loose avalanches occurring with the new snow loading.

The base and mid-snowpack are relatively homogenous with very little in the way of melt freeze crusts etc... It is also very well settled creating an excellent bridging effect allowing good travel for early season.

So it's time to think more about TERRAIN choices- now that there is a developed snowpack with the seasons first layer of concern.

Snowing hard in the upper North Thompson this morning~

Dana Foster
ACMG Ski Guide
CAA Professional Member

Snowy Mountain Alpine Tours