[MCR] Plain of Six Glaciers and Louise Falls, Lake Louise December 6, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Dec 6 23:33:27 EST 2013

I guided two clients with the assistance of a practicum guide today in the
Plain of Six Glaciers area. Temperatures were quite cool, in the -30 deg C
range for most of the day. We experienced almost no wind, which made for
tolerable travel. We were able to ski across Lake Louise, where there was
about 10 cm of snow on the ice.

With only about 40cm of snow depth, it carried our skis surprisingly well,
even in the boulder fields and on the rocky moraines. We noted numerous
wolverine trails in the snow, not sure if it was from just one wandering
wolverine or if there was more than one.

The only avalanche activity we noted were a few size 1.5 loose snow point
releases from below rock bands near the ridge top on Mt. Whyte that face due
south. No slab avalanche activity was noted. We did not experience any
whumphing.

Here is a photo I snapped of Louise Falls as we skied past.

Regards,

Jordy Shepherd

Mountain Skills Academy

ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide