[MCR] Selkirks - Northern Valhallas

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 15 19:14:43 EST 2013

Here are some preliminary ski conditions from Valhalla Mountain
Touring<http://www.vmt.ca> north
of Valhalla Park as we just opened up and completed our first tours of the
season.

HS ranges from 100cm at the lodge (1730m) to 160cm at treeline (2200m).
Coverage to the eye looked very evenly distributed, and was reasonably
supportable especially after the last 2 days of very mild temps (-1 at the
lodge).

We were able to get one snow profile in at 2200m which showed some rounding
facets lower down in the snowpack, but a supportive pencil hard mid pack.
Some what moderate to strong and variable winds have stiffened up the snow
surface a little bit but did not provide for any new natural avalanche
activity. The Dec 9th and Nov 28th layers were visible in our profile but
our compression tests gave no results.

It is still a little rolly in the woods but very supportive and skiable and
quite good at treeline, we did not ski up high into the alpine.

Have fun and be safe

Evan Stevens
--
IFMGA Mountain Guide