[MCR] Selkirks - Northern Valhallas

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 15 21:09:37 EST 2013

Here are some preliminary ski conditions from Valhalla Mountain Touring north of Valhalla Park as we just opened up and completed our first tours of the season.
HS ranges from 100cm at the lodge (1730m) to 160cm at treeline (2200m). Coverage to the eye looked very evenly distributed, and was reasonably supportable especially after the last 2 days of very mild temps (-1 at the lodge).
We were able to get one snow profile in at 2200m which showed some rounding facets lower down in the snowpack, but a supportive pencil hard mid pack. Some what moderate to strong and variable winds have stiffened up the snow surface a little bit but did not provide for any new natural avalanche activity. The Dec 9th and Nov 28th layers were visible in our profile but our compression tests gave no results.
It is still a little rolly in the woods but very supportive and skiable and quite good at treeline, we did not ski up high into the alpine.
Have fun and be safe
Evan StevensMG