[MCR] Snow Conditions Eastern Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 30 13:41:28 EST 2013

I hope the holiday season is treating you all well.

I had the pleasure of conducting an AST2 course these past few days and here are a few observations:

In K-Country, and the Tent Ridge area, we found approx. 0-120c.m. of snow variably distributed at treeline, a lot of scoured areas! The top portion of the snowpack was comprised of anywhere between 10c.m. of low density powder, in thicker trees, to a 10c.m. thick hard wind slab in wind affected areas. Hardly a midpack to speak of over basal facets rounds out the rest of the snowpack.

In Banff National Park the areas we visited(Crowfoot Glades and Pulpit Peak) also had variably distributed snow pack depths, ranging from 70c.m. up to 120c.m. at treeline. Snow test failures were observed approx. 40-60c.m. down from the surface and again in the basal facets, the former we suspect as the interface from our last cold snap.

We observed a few old avalanche crowns on NE facing alpine slopes below cliff faces, and as we skied out today we heard a rather resonating avalanche coming from the headwaters of the Hector Lake area.

Throughout the course we chose to ride conservative, supported, and anchored terrain, avoiding areas with overhead hazard. Ski quality was good where there was little wind effect, although snow pack depths are still lean for this time of year and early season hazards abound.

A great 3 days of learning with some great folks!

Happy New Year to all and have a fun and safe 2014 :)

Phil Wilhelm
A.C.M.G. Apprentice Ski/Rock Guide
www.mountainskillsacademy.com