[MCR] Observation Peak

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Dec 31 12:50:20 EST 2013

Up for a tour on the Observation Peak side just across from Bow Summit parking with five Yamnuska Mountain Adventures guests on December 30. We had good skiing from 2350m down to the highway on southerly and westerly aspects. Snowpack depths ranged from 70 to 90 cm with an average of about 75cm. We found a generally weak snow pack with soft (4f to f) facets and depth hoar just above the ground. As such, we generally kept to low angled and well supported terrain ( 30 degrees and less) and maintained a respectful distance from the peaks above. We did not observe any new avalanches, nor did we have any results from test skiing.

Best wishes for the coming year!

James Blench UIAGM/IFMGA