[MCR] White Queen, Whitewater Ski Resort, Selkirk Mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jan 4 18:12:36 EST 2013

Just got back from a tour to the summit of White Queen via the west
ridge on a well-beaten up-track. A few small wind slabs dotted the
route higher up. These were inconsequential but are still worth
noting. Encountering one of these on a steep or exposed slope could
knock someone off their feet and send them down.

Also noteworthy is the thin melt/freeze crust on open, sun-exposed
slopes all the way from the summit to the valley. The inversion of
earlier this week finally saw south facing slopes warmed up above
freezing. The crust affected ski quality, but aggressive turning made
short work of it. It was less noticeable in the trees, but a harder
crust ringing tree wells was more of a problem. Hitting one of these
unexpectedly could send you on your butt or through the air like
Superman. Ride with care.

Unfortunately, the forecast for next week doesn't include much new
snow. When the next dump does come, hopefully the crust won't cause any
lingering stability problems. We need more new snow, the terrain around
the Whitewater Ski Resort is starting to look pretty shredded.
Although, I'm sure there are still some secret stashes of powder out
there, just gotta find them.

Cheers,

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide.