[MCR] Rockies Ice - Waiparous/Johnson Creek January 27th, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 27 21:48:57 EST 2013

Climbed Marion and Caroline Falls today. Nice routes in an awesome setting. Currently mainly great climbing conditions. Some short, glassy sections that required some care. My guess is that these routes have not seen much traffic recently.
You would have to go look around that drainage for awhile to find a snowslope to trigger an avalanche on. Don't try.

In skinny gloves all day but it was starting to blow and get colder as we left.

Road is probably as good as it ever gets. We drove to where the road crosses Johnson creek and walked from there. Easy driving but in 4 Low for a long time in a 4x4 Tacoma with really good tires. Shovels and chains were not needed but provided great peace of mind. Below is the link to some great driving beta on Gravsports.

http://www.gravsports.com/ice%20pages%20folder/hydrophobia_beta.htm

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net