[MCR] Bourgeau Lake and Canmore area, Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jul 1 08:42:02 EDT 2013

I went for a stroll up Bourgeau Lake yesterday. The trail is in pretty good shape. There are a few small washout sections that are easy to walk across. The first bridge is still standing and has been fixed a bit. However the second bridge, at about km 4 or so, at the waterfall, is gone. A makeshift bridge has been built (see photos). A hiking pole or a sturdy branch is helpful to cross there. If you not fancy crossing the "bridge", you can also take your boots off and wade the creek a few meters downstream of the bridge. The trail is wet/muddy for the last 300m before reaching Bourgeau Lake itself. We went up to the next lake, on the way to Harvey Pass. The trail is quite wet/muddy for the first 500m and then in pretty good shape all the way to the lake. You do have to cross two snow patches (one of them is fairly steep). Above treeline, the snow is melting fast with the warm temps.

Canmore trails:
- the Highline is in good shape

- the Montane traverse is still muddy in a few spots and the work is almost completed to fix the creek crossing
- I've heard that the Horseshoe / G8 is in decent shape (but you cannot access it via Cougar Creek - use the other accesses)
- The Nordic Centre is also in good shape overall

Have fun!
Felix

Felix Camire
ACMG Hiking & Ski Guide