[MCR] Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 2 12:12:48 EDT 2013

Friends Alison, Kendra and Nicole and I spent the weekend climbing at the Hermit Campground.

The warm weather has significantly changed the campground over the past three days. When we arrived we had to dig out the bear bins. No platforms were visible. Snow levels have been dropping by 10cms per day. 3 platforms are now out of the snow.

The West Ridge of Mt Tupper is dry and saw multiple ascents this weekend. Crampons were not needed for our ascent on Sunday but a cold night could quickly change the approach slopes. Right now (but not for long) it is possible to glissade down back to the Meadows from the ridge.

The Southeast Ridge of Mt Sifton is also dry. To gain the summit it is necessary to climb a pitch of snow around the cornice. The snow was quite supportive in spite of the warm temps.

Brent Peters
Apprentice Alpine Guide
CAA Level 2
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures