[MCR] Valhallas- Gimli South Ridge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 9 13:54:25 EDT 2013

Climbed the South Ridge on Gimli yesterday. As mentioned previously, road is rough, a low clearance vehicle will not work. We used approach shoes instead of boots which worked fine as the snow was soft where encountered. If there was a strong freeze, or firm snow conditions, boots might have been required as there is still lots of snow on the descent. We did not take or need ice axes, but again if you got firm snow conditions, one could be usefull. The 4th class sections at the start of the descent are basically snow free now.
There is lots of running water on the approach, below the bivy if one was to use that, and on the descent.
Chicken wire supply is pretty slim at the parking lot.
Jeff Honig