[MCR] North Victoria - NE Ridge. July 13, 2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jul 13 19:21:28 EDT 2013

I climbed the NE Ridge to the north summit of Mt. Victoria this morning
with a couple friends. Here is what we found:

*Weather:* Good freeze overnight with a temperature of 4 degrees at 3:30
am at 2300m and -5 at 10 am on the summit. Clear skies until about noon
and then high overcast kept things cool for the descent.

*Travel Conditions*: Strong bridging in the morning and a generally settled
summer snowpack on the lower glacier. Crevasses are starting to open, but
still many options for travel. The bergschrund is easily crossed and there
is still continuous snow on the slope to the Vic- Collier col (see
picture). Somebody had been up there on a hot afternoon recently and left
us a nice staircase to the col which made things easier given the frozen
conditions. The upper ridge was either firm snow or ice.

Beautiful, but cold day out in the mountains!

Ian Jackson

ACMG Aspirant Guide