[MCR] Mt. Cline

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jul 20 20:09:30 EDT 2013

My guest and I just returned from climbing the SW ridge of Mt. Cline and the route is in excellent shape.

Some observations:

-Thompson creek has changed a little as a result of the rains/floods of late June. The old trail that follows the left hand side of the creek has been washed away in some spots where in wandered close to the creek. There is also more deadfall and debris that has been deposited along its banks making travel a little slower than before. The trail has not changed as you leave the creek bed and continue on up to gain the cliff band and beyond.

-Above 2700m travel on snow is excellent with minimal post-holing despite the lack of an overnight freeze. We used crampons to cross the small glacier and ascend to the ridge. From there the route is dry all the way to the summit – including the notches – and we did not use crampons or an ice axe.

This was my 3rd time climbing the route and it is a good big mountain objective for those hot summer days with forecasted high freezing levels.

Beautiful bivy site

SW Ridge

Kristopher Irwin – ACMG Alpine Guide
www.rockies-ice.com