[MCR] Edith Cavell Area, Jasper, July 19-20th

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 21 21:30:12 EDT 2013

Steve Holeczi and myself spent the last couple days climbing the east
ridges of Mt. Sorrow and Mt. Edith Cavell in Jasper. Here is what we
found:

*Weather:* Hot, clear weather with some afternoon thundershowers and no
overnight freezes. This made for poor conditions on mixed and snow and ice
routes, but comfortable climbing on the rock, even at high elevations.

*Route conditions:*
*Mt. Sorrow* - Snow-free on the ascent and a nice snow gully to save our
knees for the descent. This route is a nicely stepped quartzite ridge with
great views of the NF of Edith
Cavell. We used the approach route to the NF of Edith Cavell and gained
the ridge from there.

*Edith Cavell* - East ridge is in good shape with some snow patches and
overhanging
cornices left along the route. Crampons would be useful for the firm snow
on the approach slopes to the col and ice axes were helpful in places on
the ridge proper. The NF looked
quite dry and icy for this time of year, and did not seem like a good idea
given the current high temperatures.

Ian Jackson
ACMG Aspirant Guide
Visitor Safety Technician