[MCR] Anniversary glacier, south coast.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jun 29 18:52:37 EDT 2013

I attempted Matier on Thursday. The Cerise creek summer trail is clear of snow until just before Keith's hut(5,500 feet elevation). The travel is excellent on firm snow without crampons. Sun cups are well formed all the way up to Motel 66(6,600 feet). The Anniversary glacier is well covered. 10-15 cm of boot penetration in the rain soaked surface snow made for good steps. No crampons required. It began raining shortly before the col. Wind, rain/sleet, lack of visibility turned us around at the Joffre/Matier col, (7,800) Some surface snow balling in low angle terrain suggested that the steeper slopes in the clouds could be sloughing. I noticed more than typical rock fall peppered on the snow surface on the traverse to the glacier, directly under the eastern cliffs of Joffre. Also several size 2 mixed snow and rock avalanches on the usual avalanche fan between Motel 66 and the Anniversary glacier. There are multiple big runnels on this fan.
The heat this weekend will likely continue to clear out some of the remaining snow patches on the rock faces.
Safe travels, Chris.

Chris Lawrence
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
CAA Professional member