[MCR] Rockies: Commonweatlth Creek / Spray Lakes

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 10 01:06:35 EST 2013

A busy "picture book" day in Commonwealth Creek today with a spring-like
temperature spread from -18C when departing around 8.30 AM to +2C upon
returning to the car around 3.30 PM. We did what I believe is called the
"Little Commonwealth" or "Pig's Back" Traverse on the northern aspect of the
drainage which was travelled relatively lightly today. However a lot of
traffic on the "Superslope" and the next avalanche path to the west (i.e.
the southern aspect west of the Tryst Lake ridge). Judging from the looks of
the tracks the snow must have still been pretty good on the southern aspect
today. The other big avalanche paths further west (upstream) remained pretty
much untouched which was probably a good idea given recent wind loading at
ridgeline and the warm temps.

Generally good "boot top" powder skiing on northerly aspects. Recent
avalanche activity was limited to solar triggered sluffs in rocky terrain or
point releases except on the drive from Canmore we saw several large
fracture lines in steep, rocky easterly terrain in the Goat Range.
North-Westerly winds picked up around noon with intense wind transport
limited to ridge line. We also noticed large cornices threatening some of
the "money lines" in the area and I can't help but noticing that it's often
the days with the large temperature spreads that bring them down...

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA

OnTop ltd.