[MCR] Cirque peak/ Observation pass /Skier Remote/ Banff Park.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Mar 21 01:24:52 EDT 2013

We were back out today in the Observation and Cirque peak area up HWY 93 north.

After a trip in the same area earlier in the week we had decided on being very conservative on all Solar aspects due to our lack of trust in the multiple crust and facet layers. Our suspicions of these aspect and layers were confirmed when from the exact spot that we had stood 2 days earlier, we managed to remote a healthy size 2.5/3.0 avalanche on a South-West aspect.

We were travelling down the pass between Cirque and Sub-Observation peak and had stopped on a well supported 20-30 degree slope when heard a small settlement. To our slight amazement the large slope 100m to North (facing south west) failed down to the Persistent weak layers at the bottom of the snowpack. The Avalanche was around 200m wide, up to 175cm's deep and ran 250m down over the standard bench one might use to ascent to the col.

I think it would be safe to say that any solar aspects or thin snowpack areas should be treated with the utmost resect at the present time. Right now it might not be good enough to not only be avoiding skiing on these slopes, but also highly cautious of being under any of these slopes as they could be triggered from below in areas where you may believe you are safe.

Also of note there was much wind affect in most open areas above tree-line as well as some touchy wind slabs at ridge top.

Play safe out there and have fun! Craig

Craig McGee
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain guide
(403) 497-4211