[MCR] David Thompson/Icefields/Jasper

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 24 22:59:02 EDT 2013

Sean Isaac and I instructed an Outward Bound Veterans Ice Course this past week on the David Thompson Corridor. SARS, Cline River Gallery, Two O'Clock are all fat and should climb well into April.

Saturday I guided the RHS of the Weeping Wall for the Mountain Skills Semester. Cold temps resulted in plenty of tension in the surface ice. Last week's sun effect has been covered with new ice. Screws seemed to be good. It was sunny but cold throughout the day. Puffies stayed on right to the parking lot.

Today I climbed Aussi Beau on Mt Klapperhorn across from Mt Robson w friends Kyle and Kendra. 200m of knee deep post holing got us to avalanche debris. Easy travel w crampons to the base of the route. Two great pitches of technical ice took reasonable protection. There is a cave at 50m w a v-thread. The climbed seemed to have little traffic although there was one old v-thread at 40m on the second pillar. Air temps were cool and the snow was still dry in the sun on the descent.

Brent Peters
Apprentice Alpine Guide
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures
Sent from my iPhone