[MCR] Mt. Hector

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed May 1 19:39:13 EDT 2013

Up to the easterly peak of Mt. Hector today with two guests and Walter Bruns. Left the car at 0630 with a cool minus 8 degrees and moderate to strong west winds. Good travel conditions the entire way as per Felix Camire’s post last week. We did not use ski or boot crampons but that could change quickly. The recent storm snow has seen a bit of wind resulting in generally shallow ski penetration. Very little slab development was noted until above 10’000 feet. Here we encountered discontinuous lenses of wind slab however it was unreactive in tests and well bonded to the old surfaces. Ski quality was still quite good despite the strong westerly winds of today and the low elevation surface crust was just starting to soften at 2 pm when we got back to the car. We did not see any new avalanches.

Play Safe
James Blench IFMGA