[MCR] Little Whaleback - Bob Creek Wildland Provincial Park, Alberta

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun May 12 15:18:47 EDT 2013

Sunday, May 5 through Friday , May 10 - A group of Toronto high school
students, their teacher, and I enjoyed this near perfect stretch of spring
weather in the montane and sub-alpine lands just north of the Oldman River
(west of highway 22 south [Maycroft 82/G-16]). We travelled northward up
Camp Creek and returned via the spine of the Little Whaleback [953 372].

Temperatures ranged from -2°C into the mid twenties. It was down right hot
on the southern aspects at mid day. We observed water levels rising through
the week but were able to manage crossings of both Camp Creek and Bob Creek
with gaiters and 'quick steps'. Pockets of isothermal snow are lingering in
the darkest shadows as low as 1520m, however, the primary trails are very
dry. On two occasions we found water ice and frozen turf along our route.
It was all easily avoided and we chose not to venture above 1800m on
steeper northern aspects (see photo of Livingston Lookout). Given the
temperatures, this will all change rapidly.

I was expecting more signs of bears in the area. We saw some dried up
prints in the mud but no scat or other signs. I was also expecting to be
ravaged by ticks but we didn't find one. There was evidence of recent
hunting activity, however, we didn't see anyone else all week.

If you can get past the fact that this is rangeland country (fence
lines and cow pies), this area is true Alberta beauty. Discovering the 400
year old Douglas Fir giants in these hills is an experience not to be
missed.

For those interested in this area, The Whaleback - A Walking
Guide<http://www.amazon.com/The-Whaleback-A-Walking-Guide/dp/0921102569>by
Bob
Blaxley is a recommended resource.

[livingston_lookout.JPG: Telephoto view of the Livingston Fire Lookout
taken looking SE from the Little Whaleback ridge]
[bob_creek.JPG: Hiking open ground along the lower reaches of Bob Creek
after descending from the Little Whaleback ridge]

Mark Miller
Assistant Hiking Guide